Poverty in Pakistan
Poverty is a curse. Pakistan is a poor and under developed country. Most of its population lives in entirely adverse circumstances. Some reports reveal that more than forty percent population of Pakistan lives below the line of poverty. Four out of 10 Pakistanis are living in acute poverty with the population of Balochistan faring the worst among the provinces, according to Pakistan’s first-ever official report on multidimensional poverty.
A large number of people in our country do not have proper place to live, this miserable condition has given birth to a large number of beggars and needy people who live on the charity of the rich people. The economic condition of an average individual is very pathetic. Poverty; hunger and unemployment afflict a large section of population. The causes of poverty are quite obvious and known.
A STUDY on poverty has brought Pakistan face to face with a reality that it will find hard to accept: every third Pakistani is caught in the ‘poor’ bracket i.e. some 58.7 million out of a total population of 180 million subsist below the poverty line.
This includes more than half the population in the forever remote Balochistan, 33 per cent in Sindh, 32 per cent in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and 19 per cent in Punjab. These are daunting figures. But they are much needed for planning.
The Reasons of Poverty
- Firstly we are facing a population explosion. There are more mouths to feed than there are hands to earn. Ones income is limited; he cannot afford to maintain a large family. He works hard and consequently he falls ill and dies. Then his wife steps in works in village, fields or city, homes to bring up her children, this cycle of poverty goes on. Poor remain a poor, the whole of his life. The main cause of poverty in Pakistan lies in the difference between the resources and the population increase.
- Secondly most of the people in Pakistan are uneducated. They are ill equipped to lead a good life; they do not know the modern methods of farming. They are ignorant to better ways of earning money in the mills and factories with poor knowledge of life. They cannot increase production in mills and factories. Modern machinery is mostly computerized. An uneducated person cannot understand and operate computer. The result is that the remains poor till the last day of his life. It is very sad that result do not educate the workers. The workers do not get a chance to earn more money.
- Thirdly our economic system is based on feudalism. A big landlord keeps the small farmers and workers under his political slavery. In Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa the same condition exists. The economic condition of the small farmers and workers cannot become better in the presence of feudal lords.
- Fourthly, Pakistan is a country where does not exist any form of social, cultural and economic justice. The rich people in Pakistan are becoming richer while the poor are becoming poorer. The economic disparity between the rich and the poor has eaten the very vitals of society. The interesting thing is that no ruler has paid attention to minimize this disparity. The rich do not pay taxes; they do not abide by any law. They live in a rich bungalow, ride a beautiful car and send their children to costly schools. They enjoy every comfort and luxury of life without any hindrance.
- Fifthly poverty in Pakistan exists due to scarcity of jobs in the public and government sector. Our rulers are not responsible, dedicated and missionary. They failed to build new dams, a network of industry and roads in the country. The shortage of electricity and gas has resulted the lock up of mills and factories. New factories were not set up in the past. The result is that our uneducated worker remains unemployed the educated people have degrees, but they do not have opportunities to get job.
The E Media Private Limited Company is a socially responsible organization that has been contributing to economic development of the country while improvising the quality of life of the people in Pakistan and eradicates hunger & poverty.
The E Media is actively involved to increase employment opportunities in Pakistan by providing technical skills to workforce and fresh students.
The following areas are the focus of The E Media CSR Plan:
✔ Digital Pakistan – Through this program The E Media is committed to deliver technical education regarding Digital Technologies Implementation & Uses, Setting New Businesses into Digital Transformation and Connecting Markets through Web Portals.
✔ Youth Development
✔ Health & Safety
✔ Climate Change
✔ Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM)